Hi, I'm Phil!
BSc (Honours) Molecular Science
Open University (1 Year) - Switched to Computer Science after 1 year
Even though I found Molecular Science extremely interesting I decided to switch to Computer Science after the first year of study. The overall continuous assessment score for the year was 77%, which was on course for a 1:1 (First class degree).
BA/BSc (Honours) Computer Science
Open University (1 Year) - Completed Level 2
Having switched to Computer Science from Molecular Science, I instantly felt right at home. My assignment scores for the second year were 100%, 91%, 89%, 95%, 79% leaving me with an overall continuous assessment score of 89%. This is well on course for a 1:1 (First class degree). Since I was doing the degree part time and my daughter just having been born, my time was limited leaving me with no choice but to take a break from the course.
Lead UI Engineer - Jul 2015 -
- Decide on technology and approach to front end development
- Lead team on projects and prioritise accordingly
- Working on complex front end engineering problems
- Working with React and Flux related stack
- Taking a declarative/functional approach to all of our projects
Senior Software Engineer - Jan 2011 - Jul 2015
- Designed and implemented several RESTful APIs.
- Worked on several large Ruby on Rails applications.
- Set up Continuous Integration on several projects and pushed for a TDD approach.
- Worked on several open source Rubygem libraries.
Senior Software Engineer - Jul 2009 - Jan 2011
- Fixed existing tests and increased test coverage throughout client PR intranet application.
- Set up Continuous Integration for running tests automatically when pushed to repository master branch.
Software Engineer - Sep 1998 - Jul 2009
- Helped automate the build process of reporting for hundreds of payrolls.
- Built desktop software to send online end-of-year tax returns.
- Built intranet application to automate internal employees workflow.
Languages and Technologies
90% CompleteRuby 90%
Currently learning: Rust, Go, and Elm
90% CompleteRails 90%
80% CompleteReact.js 80%
70% CompleteEmber.js 70%
70% CompleteMeteor.js 70%
Currently learning: Cycle.js
75% CompleteMySQL 75%
75% CompletePostgreSQL 75%
50% CompleteRedis 50%
50% CompleteMongoDB 50%
50% CompleteCouchDB 50%
Point of sale system (2012):
Built out API of large-scale POS system.
Canvas-based design application (2012/13):
Ember, Canvas, API, Split up architecture, PDF generator
Music video automation application (2014):
Design/build API and build front-end Ember.js application.
Design and build abstract CMS data adapter to allow any CMS to plug in to the app seamlessly.